15 thoughts on “How to Update a Managed Metadata Field using a SharePoint Designer 2013 Workflow

  1. Knut Relbe-Moe March 6, 2016 / 2:28 pm

    Hello Maria, I tried to follow your great blog about this, but when I do the Post I just get the result “bad request” do you have any idea what it might be?

    Like

    • Maria Grazia Merlo March 8, 2016 / 2:39 pm

      Hi Knut!
      That error usually happens when there is something wrong with your request headers, body or endpoint.
      Typing errors can easily occur…
      If you send me an email at blog@mariagraziamerlo.com with some screenshots of the workflow details I can try to help you.

      Bye,
      Maria Grazia.

      Like

      • Philipp Brüning June 29, 2017 / 2:17 pm

        Hello,

        I get the result “bad request”, too. I just copied and paste the parameter from this article setting the values of my site.

        Can anyone help me?

        Thanks
        Philipp

        Like

  2. Nicholas Thoman March 26, 2016 / 5:41 am

    How would you remove a value already in the field? This works great for adding.

    Like

    • Maria Grazia Merlo March 26, 2016 / 3:54 pm

      Hi Nicholas!
      Simply putting an empty string as value for the field in the data dictionary for the rest request (step 6 of my post) works for me. I’ve tried both with a single and multi value metadata field in a SharePoint Online environment.

      Like

      • Nick Thoman March 29, 2016 / 3:31 pm

        HA! I tried everything else but that! (face palm!) Thanks!

        Like

  3. Martin Spaney June 10, 2016 / 5:59 am

    Hi,
    thanks for this great post. I followed your instructions step by step but alway get an internal Server Error. Below is the error message. It’s in german but it says something like “Minimum one filed is not installed correctly. Go to list settings to delete the fields…”
    I tried on different lists with the same result. Any Idea what the error could be?

    {“error”:{“code”:”-2130575340, Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException”,”message”:{“lang”:”de-DE”,”value”:”Mindestens ein Feld ist nicht richtig installiert. Wechseln Sie zur Listeneinstellungsseite, um diese Felder zu löschen.”}}}

    Like

    • Maria Grazia Merlo June 11, 2016 / 8:56 pm

      Hi Martin.
      Try to double check the field names you are using in your rest requests for typos.

      Like

      • Martin Spaney June 13, 2016 / 8:02 am

        Hi Maria,
        thanks for you answer. What I found out is, that ist works fine if I create a Meta-Data column in the SharePoint list directly. But when I try the same with a website-column then I get the error message described above.
        Is there any difference in doing this with a website-column?

        Like

      • Maria Grazia Merlo June 14, 2016 / 9:19 pm

        Hi Martin.
        I’ve tested the steps described in my post with a site column in an Office 365 environment (SharePoint Online) and it works. Give me some time to verify your point also in a SharePint 2013 On-Premises environment and I will give you a feedback.

        Thank you very much for your contribution.

        Like

      • Sohail Zafar November 8, 2016 / 3:24 pm

        Hi,
        Any update on this problem?
        I am also getting this error. “One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields.”
        I have double checked the field names aswell. In my case, this worked fine on Document Libraries but i am getting this error when I update Managed metadata columns in a list. I also want to point out that my term set has two levels in list.

        Like

  4. Murthy VVR September 7, 2016 / 3:18 pm

    Hi Maria,

    Thank you for the detailed steps.
    In SharePoint online, It is working fine if the column name does not contain any special characters (spaces and questions). If it contains, the REST API is returning 500 response.

    Below is the exact error message I received when tried to insert some data into a column (Managed Metadata) whose name contains spaces and question mark symbol.

    “One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields.”

    Like

  5. leighwebber November 16, 2016 / 2:56 pm

    If your workflow is copying a managed metadata field value from a source item (e.g. the associated custom task item) to a destination item (e.g. CurrentItem), you can read the value of MyMetadataField_0 from the source item and use it for the Step 6 data value. The MyMetadataField_0 field is readable, just not writable unless you use the REST call. Also, you can omit the Content-Length header altogether.

    Like

  6. Roman Sustek May 31, 2017 / 2:16 am

    I just wanted to comment on the problem: I am also getting this error. “One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields.”

    I opened a case with MS and they figured out that if the column has other than alphanumeric characters, this problem occurs. If you define your column (no matter if it’s site or list column), it works just fine.

    I hope this will help someone.

    Like

    • Roman Sustek May 31, 2017 / 2:18 am

      I meant to say – other than alphanumeric characters in a Column name.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s